Monday 16 January 2012

How time flies...

Ok, I admit it I'm a lazy bum and things didn't go quite to plan. Whilst I had the best of intentions when I wrote my initial posts, sadly these intentions were not necessarily fully realised in the timeframes intended.

So what happened? In short I found a myriad of what I'll continue to refer to as 'good' excuses to avoid actually starting exercising. Anything from being ill (man flu), the boiler breaking which meant cold showers and I didn't fancy more than the minimum necessary on a daily basis, and last but by no means least, stuffing my face with Christmas dinners etc.

That said post Christmas stuffing and complete with working boiler I'm back on the wagon and the workout hath begun.

I'm now into week 3 over the past 2 weeks having completed:

  • 3 basketball training sessions (2 hours a peice)
  • 2 basketball skirmish sessions (2 hours a peice)
  • 1 plyometrics session
  • 2 upper body weight sessions
  • 2 legs sessions including squats and deadlifts
  • 1 climbing session (well bouldering actually)
  • 2 squash games
I'm not going to lie, it's been knackering and there's been a couple of days where I've seriously questioned whether or not I could skip a session, but so far I've only missed 1 basketball training session due to food poisoning which seems fair to me.

Further to this I've upped my protein and carbs intake. After purchasing the myprotein.com "big deal bundle" (or something like that) which contained:
  • Omega 3 capsules
  • Daily vitamins
  • Instant oats
  • Creatine
  • Dextrose
  • True Whey Protein (Milk Chocolate flavour)
This is my first time trying all of these products and I've only ever taken protein previously. Obviously it's only been 2 weeks so far but I've found the instant oats work as a good initial start to the day with a hit of protein too. Then again in the afternoon to effectively fit 2 more meals into the day (finding it hard to actually eat enough otherwise!)

As for the quality of the products, I've not got much to compare against, the capsules / tablets are pretty much what you'd expect, nothing much to differentiate them. Instant oats could mix better but don't have much flavour and still easily go down in a shake whilst helping to keep energy up. The creatine and dextrose I really can't comment on as of yet, it's too early to see much gains from the creatine but feel like it is making a difference, the dextrose I likely won't invest in moving forward as I'm not seeing any noticeable difference between taking it and not.

Finally the protein really is good, it mixes easily, the flavour is superb and quality appears high in terms of grams of protein per serving. I've used Optimum nutrition previously and whilst these seemed better than many other brands I'd tried I would highly recommend www.myprotein.com to any one wanting to get hold of some supplements. (Equally their customer service has been superb).

I'll keep you posted on how the weeks go and will give some idea of what my actual sessions are composed of later this week. For now those of you who have had great intentions for a while, but not quite acted on them yet, just bite the bullet, once you've started it's much easier to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment